San Jose, California – A one-alarm fire occurred in the house of East San Jose overnight. The fire incident happened just after 11: 30, Monday night. It burned the house significantly, killed a dog, and seriously shook up the family that lives there.
The house in fire is located on Mt. McKinley Court near Clayton Road. As a result of the one-alarm fire, the dog died and four people were dislocated. The house sustained severe damage from the blaze.
There were two other pets that escaped and remained unharmed. The huge fire flames were hard to extinguish, but the firefighters rose to the occasion. After all, firefighters have to fight difficult blazes all the time. This fire may have been out of the ordinary, but the firemen had all the tools they needed to succeed.
The firefighters worked on extinguishing the fire for about a half hour to knock down the flames.
San Jose Fire Battled Blaze, Electricity
The actions were a bit delayed due to the fact that the electric power was still on to the home.
That was one of the biggest challenges for the firefighters. According to the San Jose Fire Captain Mike Van Elgort, it was like having to fight a live wire. That’s not exactly an easy thing to deal with, and it complicated the firefighters’ work significantly.
It was not a good idea to stream water while the building is still charged with the electricity. According to the fire captain, it could transmit the current to firefighters.
Besides, he mentioned that the fire gets additional energy from the electrical current. Electrical current can reignite already blazing flames or even cause new flames to sprout up throughout the house.
As about the cause of the fire, the firefighters say it was accidental and probably started in the kitchen.